Slovenia Country Profile Travel Guide Business Information

Slovenia Country Profile Travel Guide Business Information

Slovenian population Slovenia religion Slovenia history Slovenia economy Slovenia currency Slovenia road travel & other national information

 Related pages  Contact the Slovenian Consulate / Ljubljana Visitors Guide

Slovenia Real Estate / Property

Slovenia History

Slovenia for many years ruled by the Austrian – Hungarian Empire. At the end of WW1 it was incorporated as part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats & Slovenes. In 1929 it was renamed Yugoslavia.

In 1945 it was taken over by a pro communist Marshall Tito who remained in power until he died 35 years later. Throughout his time in power he cleverly and pragmatically balanced Yugoslavia’s political and military position between the main players in the cold war whilst maintaining peace in a country with very diverse ethnic groups.

After Tito’s death a power vacuum ensued which slowly facilitated the disintegration of the State of Yugoslavia and the subsequent Balkan Conflicts in the early 1990s. Slovenia its independence in 1991 following similar declarations by Croatia, and Macedonia Bosnia-Herzegovina followed suit in 1992. In 2006 Montenegro broke away from Serbia and 2008 Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia.

 

Slovenia Country Profile

Slovenia Population The Capital of Slovenia is Ljubljana with a population of 330,000 out of a national population of 2m. 88% of the population with the remaining 12% representing many minorities all less than 1% of the population. Slovenia & Religion 75 % of of the population are Roman Catholic with many other religions making up the remaining 25%.Slovenia Currency The unit of currency is the Euro. Slovenia Currency RegulationVisitors entering or leaving Slovenia with cash in any currency which exceeds 10,000€, must declare it to customs officials.  The Slovenia Language Slovene is the national language with English, Hungarian and Italian also spoken.

Slovenia Economy

The Slovenian economy has an annual growth rate of about 2,5% with inflation at 5.5%. It’s major industries are textiles including leather, timber, chemicals, rubber,plastics and metal processing, the manufacture of electrical and optical equipment, production of machinery and vehicles.

Its major trading partners are the European Union (especially Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, France and Italy) and Croatia. It is regarded as having a stable economy with an increasing annual growth forecast .

Slovenia Tourism

Historically tourism has not been a popular tourist destination but in the last two years this has increased significantly – in part fuelled by the attentions of the low cost airlines and also the interest of investors in Slovenian real estate and property. This trend is expected to continue.

Emergency Medical Treatment In Slovenia

Slovenia has a good standard of healthcare though faculties in some places can be limited Slovenia has arrangements with several countries including the UK nationals for the provision of emergency medical treatment. If you are travelling from the UK you will need a European Health Card. More

Slovenia Health Notes:

If you are going to forested areas take medical advice about inoculations against rabies & tick-borne encephalitis which is prevalent in this part of Europe.Some authorities also suggest taking advice on having typhoid vaccinations before visiting Slovenia.

Bird Flu – Avian Influenza In Slovenia

An outbreak of Bird flu occurred in February 2006 in north east Slovenia. No humans contracted the disease. The risk to humans from Avian Influenza is believed to be very low .Avoid live animal markets, poultry farms and with domestic, caged or wild birds. Thoroughly cook any egg and poultry dishes.

Earthquakes In Slovenia

The western region of Slovenia occasionally suffers earth tremors as it is on a geographical fault line  In 2004 on July 12th , a tremor measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale occurred causing one death and quite extensive damage to property.

Accommodation In Slovenia

Before you leave for Slovenia you should make firm arrangements for your stay. Slovenia is becoming a very popular destination for tourist on a short break or longer holiday. At times especially during the summer there is a shortage of hotel and apartment accommodation across Slovenia. This problem has previously occurred in Ljubljana Bled and Kranska Gora.

Skiing In Slovenia

It is important for skiers to take local advice on the weather and conditions before setting out and to bear in mind that off piste skiing in Slovenia at times can be very dangerous as the area is prone to avalanches. Slovenian and European ski resorts

ATM Machines In Slovenia

ATM’s are common place in towns and cities throughout Slovenia.

Credit Cards In Slovenia

With the exception of petrol stations credit cards are widely accepted in Slovenia .

Cash & Traveller Cheques In Slovenia

Banks and bureau de change facilities accept most major currencies and travellers cheques. Some outlets do not accept Irish and Scottish bank notes.

Crime In Slovenia

The crime rate in Slovenia is very low. Tourists should all the same take care of the personal belongings in this country which is a great deal safer than other European countries.

Smoking In Slovenia

Smoking is not allowed on any public transport or waiting rooms for the same, in theatres, cinemas, theatres or public buildings and in waiting rooms.

Slovenia Time Zones

Slovenia Time in the summer is plus one hour GMT in the winter. In the summer – from the last sunday in March to the last sunday in October it is plus two hours GMT.

Travel In Slovenia

Road Travel In Slovenia

Visitors can drive in Slovenia provided they have a national licence from the country they live in. They should carry the licence with them and a the insurance certificate covering their driving whilst in Slovenia. Slovenian roads are of a good standard and well maintained/ Information on Slovenian roads is available from Slovenia ‘s automobile club AMZSwebsite.

Drivers must use dipped headlights day and night and the use of seatbelts is compulsory. All vehicles must carry a first aid kit , a reflective jacket and a warning triangle which must be stood 50 metres behind the car in the event of a breakdown or accident. It is illegal in Slovenia to overtake school buses. Speed limits are generally 50KPH in built up areas, 90KPH in rural areas and 130 KPH on motorways.

Drink driving is not tolerated the legal limit is 0.5% – roughly equivalent to half a pint of weak beer.Only hands free mobile phones can be used when driving. Police in Slovenia can impose heavy on the spot fines for anyone breaking traffic regulations and will additionally detain anyone arrested for drink driving offences.

Some petrol stations close in the early evening and few accept Credit cards

Driving in Slovenia During the Winter

Motorists driving in Slovenia during the winter – usually defined as November 15th – March 15th must have cars with winter tyres. Alternatively you may have snow chains and radial tyres with a 4mm tread. On the spot fines of 125€ are payable for not meeting this criteria rising to 417€ if your not meeting the criteria causes delays or blocks the road.

At times the weather in Slovakia can be very severe with heavy snow and very low temperatures – see the euromost city guide for Ljubljana. Motorists travelling in Slovakia during the winter are advised to check the weather forecast and road conditions before setting out. They are also advised to carry mobile phones for use in an emergency along with emergency supplies of food and warm drinks especially when going on a long journey.

Ryanair Route Maribor Slovenia

Maribor Slovenia in the Pohorje Region is on the eastern edge of the Alps. The region is dominated by coniferous forests. In the winter there are three relatively new ski resorts Areh, Kope and Rogla. In the summer the region hosts a range of activities including ballooning cycling hand gliding, hiking, horse riding and parachuting and rafting.

Maribor with under 116,000 residents is a small town which has numerous vineyards a short journey away. The city itself has many examples of Slovenian architecture over the last four centuries especially in the Old Town. The city has a casino and health spa. The town is 260 Kilometres from Slovenia’s capital Ljubljana. Hotel and apartment accommodation is available but short notice availability may be limited until the town adjusts to the flood of Ryanair visitors. Further information on Maribor is available from Slovenia.info.

Property and Real Estate in Slovenia

Cautionary Note:

EU citizens and companies have the rights to acquire land in Slovenia.   Whilst most property brokers are above board some organised fraudsters do operate. You are advised to take advice from an established agency in your home country and independent legal advice from a qualified, property lawyer, before making a deposit or purchase.

independent travel guide
online since April 2004

 

euromost.info

fav bookmark
European City Guides & Europe Country Profiles Travel Information For Visitors + Alerts!

 

 

 

auschwitz - birkenau

The 'Current' Brexit Bundle:

Image result for brexit